Wine Food Pairing - Wine for the Chef and Wine for the Pan!

Wine Food Pairing, what to cook? Let's check the fridge. My husband volunteers to "do something" with the pork tenderloin sitting on the shelf.

He issues my instructions. I am in charge of making garlic mashed potatoes and finding the right wine. The spuds are easy, I make terrific mashed potatoes using my mother's old hand masher.

My husband on the other hand is foraging in the back of the refrigerator looking for cabbage to go with the pork, YIKES! He easily whips up an Austrian hot cabbage salad using the special shredder we brought home from Europe that is the size of a VW bug! Next he crushes black peppercorns and caraway seeds with a mortar and pestle and then rolls the tenderloin that has been drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with fresh garlic in the mix.

He pops this into a hot pan for a quick sear and then looks to me for my wine choice. I have chosen a red wine from Portugal.....a 2004 Dona Ermelinda-Pamela DOC Castelao...... a long name, but a terrific medium bodied that combines great with grilled meats. I pour a bit for sampling and then when he approves, he pours a bit into the pan to de-glaze and make a tasty sauce....YUMMY!

Wine Food Pairing is always an adventure so enjoy! CHEERS!

No comments: