Wine Food Pairing Visits the Pumpkin Patch

When it starts to get chilly my thoughts turn to a nice hearty soup ... and for wine food pairing, what better way to welcome the autumn than by visiting the local pumpkin patch? Now as you know by now I am in Austria for the next few weeks, I haven't seen any pumpkins in Florida lately and I haven't felt any "chilly" temps either!

We found a nice patch one along side the road up in the Styria region .... after all they are famous for their pumpkin seed oil and those seeds come from somewhere! So, with one of these "bad" boys tucked under my arm we had the makings for one darn tasty "Kurbis-suppe" ... pumpkin soup.

WOW! After throwing onions, garlic, potatoes and pumpkin in the pot, along with a bit of water, white wine, broth and seasonings we had a thick rich hearty soup. I garnished it with a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil, a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds and a dollop of sour cream ... this was so rich and YUMMY that it would make Betty Crocker blush!

Of course, we always ask the question, "what wine do we pair with this delight"? We chose local Sturm ... yes, I know I have been drinking quite a bit of it lately, but it is only available for a short period of time and it goes so well with the season. The fizzy sweet combines so well with the creamy soup.

When you do wine food pairing you have to think about the seasons, the locale and ... the bottom line .... what makes you happy. CHEERS!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I learn so much from your blog.