Wine Food Pairing - Shrimp on the Pizza!

Wine Food Pairing ..... you have heard of shrimp on the barbie (which is wonderful ) so how about shrimp on the pizza? A scampi pizza to be more exact.

In Florida we have many opportunities to buy fresh, off the boat shrimpies, sometimes called "bugs" ...... and we all know that fresh is best! Why not combine the best of both worlds, a Friday night pizza and delicious gulf bugs! The recipe idea came from my good friend Pat, of course I had to tweak it a bit, just because!

First off I whipped up some homemade whole wheat dough in my bread maker in the morning and put it in the fridge to wait for it to "jump". I'm not sure what that means, but my old buddy Jeff used to own a pizza parlor and he said that it was a "must do". By late afternoon I figured it was time to open a bottle of my favorite Cavit Pinot Grigio and get down to serious business.

I opened the fridge and found that the dough was now creeping over the edge of the plate so it must have "jumped" enough. I popped my pizza stone in the oven to heat up and then began the interesting chore of making the dough look like a pizza crust....YIKES......I wonder if they have pizza crust classes? I hope no one will be grading the presentation!

I am on my second glass of this delightfully crisp pinot by the time I begin to saute the onions, garlic, olive oil, spices and mushrooms for the toppings. Everything comes together nicely. The mozzarella goes on the bottom, the sauteed ingredients next, followed by the gulf shrimp and more cheese.

Fifteen minutes later my mouth is drooling from the garlicky smells in the house. The pizza is out, fresh glasses of Pinot Grigio are passed around and the scampi pizza party begins! YUMMY!

Wine Food Pairing ... who would have thought...bugs and wine? CHEERS!

No comments: